Freshmen and sophomores take PreACT in the spring. This is provided as a benchmark for the freshmen, and as a strengths/opportunities for growth indicator for both grades. The test results are shared with the students the following fall semester. Scores are not reported to colleges or other institutions.
PSAT (Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test)
All sophomores and juniors take the PSAT during a school day in October. For sophomores and juniors, this is a preliminary for the SAT, should they decide to take this test later on. For juniors, the test is also the qualifying test for the National Merit Scholarship(s). Students are given an information packet to bring home in September. The school pays all fees and handles the ordering and administration of this test.
This is one of the two nationally accepted college entrance exams (the other is the SAT, offered by the College Board). The Rosati-Kain Student Support Services department recommends taking this test 3-4 times, starting in the SPRING of junior year.
Registration for the test and sending test scores to colleges is the student’s responsibility. Rosati-Kain does NOT include test scores on official transcripts.
To view test dates and registration information, please click here.
The SAT is another college entrance test students may choose to take. The scores on the PSAT and the Practice ACT are both good indicators of which test may be more advantageous for the individual. Contrary to the assumption that the ACT is for the Midwest, and the SAT is solely for the East and West coasts and Ivy Leagues, either test is accepted by virtually every college and university in the country. Historically, approximately 5% of our students take the SAT, usually in addition to the ACT, though the number of students taking the SAT has begun to grow in the last several years. This is one of the many things the Mrs. Burke helps students and parents determine during individual planning meetings taking place during junior year.
To view test dates and registration information for the SAT, please click here.
Additional Test Prep Resources
- ACT Boot Camp – St. Mary’s High School (3 day sessions for $100 prior to each National Test Date) Click here!
- Club Z In-Home Tutoring Services – (314) 828-8080 www.stlouistutors.com
- College Tutors – (636) 926-2681 www.collegetutors.com
- Kaplan – www.kaplan.com
- Kleitz Education Group – (314) 344-9010 www.kleitzeducationgroup.com
- Lewis and Clark Institute – (314) 918-1400
- One-On-One Tutoring – http://oneononetutoringstl.com/
- Princeton Review – (800) 916-7737 www.princetonreview.com
- Pocket PhD’s – http://pocketphds.com/our-tutors
- Tutor Doctor – (636)357-4500 www.TutorDoctorStL.Com
- Svolopoulos, Margaret – (314) 303-6432
- Sylvan Learning Centers
- Varsity Tutors – (314) 422-2007 www.VarsityTutors.com
- Webster University offers Saturday classes several times prior to each national test date. Please click here for more info.
- ACT OR SAT resource books available for purchase (about $30.00) at bookstores
- ONLINE PRACTICE (FREE) FROM ST. LOUIS CITY AND COUNTY LIBRARY. If you are interested in this, please see your counselor or Mrs. Faron for directions.
*This list is provided for informational purposes only. Please ask the individual agency about success rates. Rosati-Kain does not guarantee results.